Notre Dame Campus
Emmanuel recently expanded to the site of the former St. Margaret's Convent in Roxbury, marking the creation of the College's Notre Dame Campus.
In 2012, Emmanuel College purchased the Society of St. Margaret's Convent, marking the return of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur to the Roxbury section of Boston. The property, now named the Notre Dame Campus, is located at 125 Highland Street and is comprised of four buildings on 1.65-acres in the historic Fort Hill/Highland Park neighborhood. Emmanuel will convert this property into a center for programs related to its mission-retreats, reflection and prayer, spiritual direction, social justice and service learning. The College will also initiate a living-learning community, expanding service opportunities for students in the community.
The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur operated Notre Dame Academy on Washington Street, just a few short blocks from the site the Notre Dame Campus, from 1854 to 1965 when the school relocated to Hingham, Mass. Today, Notre Dame Street is situated adjacent to Washington Street, in recognition of the Sisters of Notre Dame's impact on the neighborhood. Expanding on this history, the College is developing partnerships to create programs of mutual benefit to the neighborhood.
There are four buildings on the Notre Dame campus ranging from two to four stories, totaling 35,734 square feet. One of the four buildings is the William Lloyd Garrison House, the historic residence of the leader of Boston's anti-slavery cause. Built in the 1840s, this two-story Greek Revival structure is a National Historic Landmark. Additional features of the other buildings on the property include a chapel, library, conference center, residence space, dining/kitchen facilities, and meeting and office spaces.