Students who have a credit on their account with the College (due to excess financial aid, private loans, tuition remission, overpayment, etc.) may reduce their loan amount or have the credit applied toward their next semester.

Students may also request a refund of any excess funds on their account. Most refunds are not available until mid-October for fall semester and late February for spring semester, because financial aid is disbursed after the add/drop period. We recommend students and their families budget accordingly if they plan to use their refund for living expenses.

To check if there is a credit balance on your account, log into EC Online Services via MySaints and view your bill under the Student Financial Services section of EC Online Services. You may also request your refund through OAR, and this method gives you the option of having the funds directly deposited into your bank account. Requests may also be submitted via paper form at our office, but these refunds may only be issued with a paper check.

Once the digital or paper Refund Request Form is received by our office and your credit balance is verified, the refund may be processed. A check in the amount of the refund will be mailed to you at the address you listed on the form, or transmitted to your bank account if you requested direct deposit through the Refund Request Form on EC Online Services. Please allow up to 10 business days for receipt of your refund.