Studying Spanish isn’t simply about learning another language.
With 37 million Spanish speakers in the U.S., and nearly 500 million globally, it’s about learning the third most widely spoken language in the world. At Emmanuel College, you will open the door to new cultural and career opportunities. Immerse yourself in the language, art, literature and culture of Latin America and Spain, and of Latino communities in Boston and across the country.
View the 2016-2017 Academic Catalog to find course titles, numbers and descriptions.
Requirements for B.A. in Spanish
Five LANG courses at the 2000-level and above
- LANG2413 Spanish Conversation and Composition I
- LANG3417 Spanish American Experience: An Overview
- LANG3429 Great Figures of Spanish Literature
- An additional 3000-level course
- Senior Seminar
Major courses are chosen with departmental advising.
Teacher Licensure in Spanish
Students seeking teacher licensure in Spanish must complete a major in Spanish as well as complete required education courses and student teaching. Education requirement are available through the education department. Students seeking Initial Licensure in Massachusetts must pass the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL).
Minor + Certificate Requirements
View the 2015-2016 Academic Catalog to find course titles, numbers and descriptions.
Requirements for Departmental Minor in Spanish
- Four LANG courses at the 2000-level and above
- Two 3000-level courses
Minor courses are chosen with departmental advising.
Requirements for a Foreign Language Certificate
- Five LANG courses at the 1000-level and above, with a minimum grade of B- for each course. The Language Certificate will be noted on the student transcript.
Learning Goals + Outcomes
At the completion of the Spanish major, the student will:
- Demonstrate Spanish language proficiency.
- Demonstrate understanding of Hispanic peoples and cultures.
- Critically read literature in Spanish, conduct research in the discipline, and clearly express statements and support ideas in essays and research papers.