Middle East Studies
The Middle East at this time of transition offers complex challenges and promise.
Following the uprisings, there is a possibility of more democracy in the Gulf, North Africa and the Levant and the hope of peace in the Arab-Israeli conflict. The study of the Middle East includes history, politics, culture, religion, language and literature, all of which interact and make for an exciting learning experience. Students may purse work in government, business, the Foreign Service and further study towards a graduate degree.
View the 2016-2017 Academic Catalog to find course titles, numbers and descriptions.
Requirements for a Minor in Middle East Studies
- HIST2140 History of Modern Middle East
- POLSC2411 The Contemporary Middle East: Challenges and Promise
- THRS2211 Islam
Electives: Choose two, wth one at the 3000-level required
- LANG2664 The Arab World Through Its Literature
- POLSC2403 Turkey and the Middle East
- POLSC2419 The Geopolitics of Democracy
- POLSC2503 Revolution and Nationalism
- POLSC3405 Strategies of War and Peace
- POLSC3407 People and Politics of the Middle East