Professor of Art
Office: Administration Building, Room 523
Office hours: Monday and Tuesday 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.; Thursday, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
M.F.A., American University; B.A., Emmanuel College
Maryland Institute College of Art
Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture
As a practicing artist, my work informs my teaching. I realize the importance of process and stress this approach in the classroom. Mentoring young artists is what I enjoy.
My work has been exhibited widely in both solo and group exhibitions. Exhibition venues include Danforth Museum of Art, Portland Art Museum, ME; Dartmouth College, NH; Fitchburg Art Museum, MA; Fuller Craft Museum, MA; The National Museum of Fine Arts, Viet Nam; and Apothiki Arts Center, Greece. I have also been awarded artist residencies at the Millay Colony in Austerlitz, NY, the Apothiki Arts Center in Paros, Greece, Goetemann Residency, Gloucester, MA., and the Provincetown Community Compact C-Scape Dune Shack. Public collections of my work in Massachusetts include the Boston Public Library, Meditech Corporation, CSC, and PAREXEL International.
What I'm Working On
What I Love About Emmanuel:
Emmanuel has a strong sense of community. This is especially evident in our Department as we work closely with our students to help them develop their work. Discussions, demonstrations, and critiques are a lively part of the daily interaction between students and faculty.
Courses I Teach
- ART1401 - Basic Drawing I
- ART1402 - Basic Drawing II
- ART2415 - Life Drawing
- ART2401 - Painting I
- ART2403 - Design and Composition
- ART3501 - Materials and Methods of Teaching Art
- 2013 - Hallspace, Shoals, Boston MA
- 2010 - Apothiki Arts Center, Navigations, Paros, Greece
- 2013 - The Painting Center, Working it Out, NY, NY
- 2011 - Danforth Museum, Off the Wall, Framingham, MA. Juror: Susan Stoops,Curator of Contemporary Art, Worcester Art Museum
- 2011 - A Street Gallery, 22 Artists, Boston, MA
- 2011 - Samson Projects, Chain Letter, Boston, MA
Grants + Recognition
- 2013 - Artist Residency, Provincetown Compact, C-Scape Dune Shack, Provincetown, MA
- 2011 - Goetemann Artist Residency, Rocky Neck, Gloucester, MA
- 2010 - Artist Residency, Apothiki Art Center, Paros Greece
Ocean currents, navigation routes, intersection of land, sea, and sky, and the mystery of what exists "below the surface" are all sources for my oil paintings and mixed media works on paper. At the heart of these works are the metaphoric possibilities that result from the contemplation of water.