Assistant Professor of Sociology
Office: Administration Building, Room 466
Office Hours: Monday and Wednesday, 9:15 a.m. to 9:55 a.m. and 1:20 p.m. to 2:20 p.m.; Friday, 9:15 a.m. to 9:55 a.m.
Ph.D., Boston University; M.P.H., Boston University School of Public Health; M.S.W., Boston University School of Social Work; A.B., Harvard University
I came back to academia after thirteen years of working in the corporate sector, specifically focusing on building, scaling, and expanding health-related organizations in both early stage/start-up and non-profit arenas. I really enjoyed many facets of these organizations but missed working directly in human services.
My research focuses on addiction. I am interested in the impact of the heroin epidemic on stigma, both from individual and systems perspectives. As a macro (policy) social worker, I'm also interested in role of policy and stigma.
In my courses, I often couple our course content with examples from my personal experience as a foster parent (and former foster kid). I also use my direct research experience from The Center for Addictions Research and Services at Boston University School of Social Work, where I hold an Associate Director appointment.
What I Love About Emmanuel:
I love the collegial environment at Emmanuel - I feel like I really get a chance to get to know my students and colleagues.
Courses + Curriculum
- SOC1101 - Introduction to Sociology
- SOC1111 - Introduction to Social Work
- SOC4194 - Internship
Other University Appointments:
- Social Welfare Policy (Boston University Masters in Social Work program)
- Statistical Analysis (Boston University Masters in Social Work program, Merrimack College)
Publications + Presentations
- Lundgren, L., Krull, I. (2014). The affordable care act: new opportunities for social work to take leadership in behavioral health and addiction treatment. Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research, 5(4):415-438.
- Krull, I., Lundgren, L., Beltrame, C. (2014). Association between addiction treatment staff professional and educational levels and perceptions of organizational climate and resources. Substance Abuse, 35(1):3-6.
- Lundgren, L., Amodeo, M., Chassler, D., Krull, I., Sullivan, L. (2013). Organizational readiness for change in community-based addiction treatment programs and adherence in implementing evidence-based practices: A national study. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 45:5, 457 - 465.
- Krull, I., Lundgren, L., Zerden, L. (2011). Attitudes toward evidence-based pharmacological treatments among community-based addiction treatment programs targeting vulnerable population groups. Journal of Addictive Diseases, 30:4, 323 - 333. PMID: 22026524.
- Lundgren, L., Krull, I., Zerden, L., & McCarty, D. (2011). Community-based addiction treatment staff attitudes about the usefulness of science-based addiction treatment and CBO organizational linkages to research institutions. Evaluation and Program Planning, 34(4), 356-365. PMID: 21396714.
- Lundgren, L., Amodeo, M., Krull, I., Chassler, D., Weidenfeld, R., de Saxe Zerden, L., . . . Beltrame, C. (2011). Addiction treatment provider attitudes on staff capacity and evidence-based clinical training: Results from a national study. The American Journal on Addictions, 20(3), 271-284. doi:10.1111/j.1521-0391.2011.00127.x PMID: 21477056.
- Krull, I. (2009). ...And healthcare access for all: Addressing health disparities. http://www.healthmgttech.com/enews/2009_April/hmt_enews_story1.aspx
Grants + Recognition
2012: Boston University Dissertation Award recipient
2008: U.S. Patent Number WO/2008/095002. Systems and Techniques for Producing Spoken Voice Prompts. Washington, D.C. U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Merrow, L., Drane, A., Krull, I.
2008: U.S. Patent Number WO/2008/092085. Systems and Methods for Producing Build Calls. Washington, D.C. U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Lavoie, L., Merrow, L., Drane, A., Rizzo, F., Krull, I.
2005: Recipient of the Sarah Lange Award for Social Justice, Boston University
1995: Teacher of the Month, New England Center for Autism, Framingham, MA
1995: Recipient, Federal Autism Educator Education Grant (1 year program), Northeastern University, Boston, MA
Serve as Director of Evaluation on the following project:
- Health Resources and Services Administration-funded (HRSA) (PI Dr. Lena Lundgren): "In the Community Mental Health Training for Social Workers" (2012 - 2015).
Served as Data Analyst on the following projects:
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation funded (PI Dr. Lena Lundgren): "Factors Associated With Adopting Evidence-Based Substance Abuse Treatment Practices in Community Organizations Funded through Federal Program Efforts: A National Study" (2008 - 2012).
- SAMHSA/CSAP funded (PI Dr. Lena Lundgren): "LaVoz Homeless Treatment Project: Focusing on HIV/AIDS, Housing and Substance Abuse Treatment for Homeless Latino Substance Abusers." (2008 - 2013); "Outcome Evaluation of Tu Bienestar - HIV Prevention and Mental Health Services to Latino Substance Users" (2008 - 2013); "La Voz: HIV Mobile Prevention and Clinical Care for Latino Injection Drug Users" (2006 - 2011).
Served as Editorial Assistant for:
- Evaluation and Program Planning (2011) special issue on addiction treatment programs: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/01497189/34.