Senior Lecturer, Department of Modern Languages
Office: Administration Building, Room 453
Office hours: Mondays and Wednesdays and Fridays, 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.; Tuesdays and Thursdays, by appointment
M.A., University of Massachusetts Amherst; M.A., University La Sapienza Rome, Italy
Isa Orvieto grew up and studied in Rome but spent many years in Milan working and raising her children. She holds a Laurea in Literary Studies from the University of Rome (Master degree equivalent) and a Master in Education from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. She taught Italian for more than 30 years at places like UMass Amherst, Brown, Cornell and the Institute for European Studies in Milan.
I Isa Orvieto is currently a Senior Lecturer and Italian Program Coordinator in the Modern Language Department at Emmanuel College. She is also the creator and leader of a travel course titled Italy Today: A Voyage Through Literature, Cinema and Everyday Life. The aim of the course is to offer a direct cultural experience of how Italy has developed into a modern country while holding onto its history, art, and traditions.
She is the creator and coauthor since 2009 of the blog Italian News Clicks.
Courses I Teach
- LANG1301 - Beginning Italian I
- LANG1302 - Beginning Italian II
- LANG2301 - Intermediate Italian I
- LANG2302 - Intermediate Italian II
- LANG2315 - Italy Today: A Journey Through Literature, Cinema and Everyday Life
Publications + Presentations
- MAFLA 2014: IL GIORNALE ENTRA NELLA CLASSE D'ITALIANO.
- Tavola Rotonda: Emmanuel 2015: La cultura nella classe d'italiano.
- AATI Siena 15: L'immagine dell'Italia di oggi entra nella classe di italiano attraverso la stampa online.
- Boston 2016: Language enrichment workshop for K-12 Teachers of Italian. In collaboration with the Italian Consulate. Click to see flyer.
- "I programmi delle superiori in Italia dal 1860 al 1944" (H.S. curricula in Italy from 1860 to 1944)
- Quaderni CIDI, 1981, 11:161-172, F. Angeli, Roma
- "Letteratura controllata Usa" (USA:literature under control) Riforma della Scuola, 2: 35-37, 1984, Ed. Riuniti, Roma
- La didattica della letteratura negli Stati Uniti" (The Teaching of Literature in the US.) Ricerca Educativa, 1: 114-118, 1984. Villa Falconieri, Frascati
EMERGENCY: Life Support for Civilian War Victims
Italy and U.S.
A nonprofit Italian organization providing medical care and rehabilitation to civilian victims of war. It became a U.S. NGO in February 2005 and a partner of Harvard Humanitarian Initiative in November.
Boston Chapter Coordinator (Volunteer), Boston, MA (September 2005 - 2010)
Volunteer, Milan, Italy (2003 - 2005)
HARVARD HUMANITARIAN INITIATIVE (HHI), Cambridge MA
2006 - 2007
A university-wide center involving multiple entities within the Harvard academic and medical community, with the mission to relieve human suffering in war and disaster by advancing the science and practice of humanitarian responses worldwide.
Conference Coordinator: Responsible for coordinating the Humanitarian Health Conference, co-hosted by the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative and Dartmouth Medical School.
Isa Orvieto has been engaged in various cultural and pedagogical initiatives. Recently she designed the testing program for the textbook Sentieri published by Vista Higher Education and all the ancillary material for Parliamo Italiano published by John Wiley & Sons.
She created and she is co-authoring the blog Italian News Clicks.
She is presently working on an e-textbook geared for intermediate and advanced courses, based on a selection of newspaper articles from her blog "Italian News Clicks." The articles are enriched with a variety of stimulating material and can represent a complete content-based academic program.