Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements to study abroad?

  • You must be a currently enrolled student with a GPA of 2.5 or higher. Some schools require a higher GPA so please consult the program's information page on Studio Abroad to determine if your program requires a GPA higher than 2.5
  • You must have sophomore or junior standing by the time you plan to go abroad.
  • Students with less than 30 credits (first year students) OR students in their last semester at Emmanuel may only participate in travel courses, not semester programs abroad.
  • You must not have transferred in to Emmanuel with more than 60 credits.
  • You must be in good academic, disciplinary, and financial standing with the university and not be on academic or disciplinary probation at the time of application.

Where can I study?
Emmanuel works with program providers who have programs in over 70 countries. You can search Studio Abroad to find programs that offer courses in a particular field of study. We can work with you individually to find a program that is suitable. Additionally, Emmanuel faculty offer travel courses in a variety of destinations and disciplines.

What can I study?
To build a schedule, you will need to review the courses on offer at each program site. You will meet with an advisor to determine how classes will transfer back to Emmanuel and whether they will fulfill particular requirements.

What are the application deadlines?
The deadline for studying abroad in the Fall or Academic Year is April 15. The deadline for Spring semester programs is October 15, and for Summer programs is March 15.

What is the application process?
You will need to complete a COF study abroad application on our online system called Studio Abroad, and then additionally complete the program providers external application form. Detailed application instructions will be discussed when you meet with the Office of International Programs. To be considered for admission to our programs, students should have, at the time of application, a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.50 on a 4.00 scale, however some programs may require a higher GPA. Meeting or exceeding the minimum cumulative GPA requirement, however, does not guarantee admission to a program. Admissions decisions are based on a full review of the file, including the academic recommendation, the personal statement, and academic and disciplinary records. Once admitted, students who are not in good standing or determined by the College not to be in compliance with any academic requirement or other rule, requirement or procedure of the University may be precluded from participation in a study abroad program. All admission decisions are final.

How long can I go abroad?
Students can go abroad for one or two semesters, or a summer. Emmanuel travel courses may be as short as one week or many as 6 weeks.

Where will I live?
Housing options vary by program. Students are housed in either dormitories, shared apartments, or homestays. Not all housing options are available at every program and no housing preferences are guaranteed.

How much will it cost?
For semester and year-long programs, students pay program fees directly to the program provider and not Emmanuel College. Detailed fees for each program are available on the program providers' external websites. Costs for travel courses vary by destination and duration of program and may be found on the programs' brochure on Studio Abroad.

Can I use my financial aid?
Students are unable to take institutional aid abroad on any third party program. Federal and state aid are portable, but students are encouraged to speak with their financial counselor to determine exact amounts and the paperwork necessary to ensure portability of aid. Institutional aid can be applied to Emmanuel Spring and Fall travel courses, but not standalone Summer courses.

If I go to a country where the native language is not English, will I have to know how to speak the language?
The majority of program providers have a mix of course taught in English and the native language of the host country, but the number of courses available varies by location and program. Some require that you take a language course as part of your course load while abroad. While this is not required at all programs, we do recommend that you study the language while you are abroad.

Do I need a visa?
Most programs do require a visa, however this varies by program and by your own citizenship. Note that obtaining the visa is the responsibility of the student.

Can I work while I am abroad?
In most cases the answer is no. If you are not a citizen of the country you are studying in, and are on a visa, you usually are prohibited from working while you are abroad. Some countries do allow you to work while you are abroad, but the number of hours you can work is strictly limited. Check with the consulate of the country you will be studying in.

Learn more about studying abroad by reading stories from our program alumni.

Explore Emmanuel

Learn More
Learn More
Learn More
Learn More
Learn More
Learn More
Learn More
Learn More
Learn More
Learn More
Learn More
Learn More

Let's Get Started.

Emmanuel is a place where students broaden their sense of what’s possible and prepare for inspiring careers in an ever-changing world. Be here.