Policies & Procedures
2011-2012 Room Selection Information and Procedures
- Students must be registered full-time for the Fall 2012 semester at the time of Room Selection.
- Room Selection Lottery numbers are determined by class standing as defined by the Registrar:
• Freshman standing: 31 or fewer credits
• Sophomore standing: 32 – 63 credits
• Junior standing: 64 – 95 credits
• Senior standing: 96 or greater credits
- Graduate students are not eligible to participate in the room selection process.
- Students must submit a housing deposit to the Office of Residence Life and Housing and complete the online housing lease no later than Monday, March 26, 2011, at 12 p.m.
- The housing deposit may be submitted in the form of check or credit card. If paying by credit card, you’ll need to include a completed Payment Option Form which is available on this site and the Room Selection time site on the Emmanuel College Portal.
- Students with a Student Financial Services hold on their student account may not be eligible to participate.
- Students wishing to live at a satellite location must be in good judicial standing. Information on satellite locations as inventory will be available prior to housing selection.
- Attend an information session if you have questions about the process for selecting housing for the 2012-2013 academic year.
- Submit a Housing Deposit to the Office of Residence Life and Housing by Monday, March 26, 2011, at 12 p.m. If you are sending your payment via mail, it must be postmarked by March 26, 2011.
- Agree to the terms and condition of the Residence Life & Housing Lease.
- You will receive your lottery number via e-mail after 4:30 p.m. on Monday, April 9, 2011.
- If selecting a triple or suite, the group must also submit a Group Housing form (one per group) by 12 p.m. on March 26, 2011. The Group Housing form will be available on the Room Selection team site on the Emmanuel College Portal.
- All students must come to Room Selection with a roommate(s) to fill the room they are requesting.If you do not have an intended roommate, please complete the on-line preference survey. Students without a roommate at the time of room selection will have limited options available to them.
- You must be present at your scheduled Room Selection appointment or you must have submitted an on-line proxy form on the Room Selection team site on the Emmanuel College Portal.
- If you are interested in selecting a room at a satellite location, you must be in good judicial standing. Contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing (email@example.com, 617-735-9746) if you have questions about your judicial standing. Information on satellite locations as inventory will be made available by housing selection.
- In order to cancel your housing and receive a 50% refund of your housing deposit, you must submit the Housing Cancellation and Refund Request form to the Office of Residence Life and Housing prior to Monday, April 30, 2012. If this form is submitted after April 30, 2012, but before August 31, 2012, you are eligible to cancel your housing agreement, but your $200 Housing Deposit will be forfeited.
Group Housing Selection
- In order to select Group Housing you must have the same number of students as spaces available in the triple or suite you are selecting.
- Each group may submit one only Group Housing form. The Group Housing form will be available on the Room Selection team site on the Emmanuel College Portal.
- All students must be listed on the Group Housing form. Once this form has been submitted, you may not make changes.
- If a member of the group has a financial hold or is not registered by the March 26, 2012, deadline, that member will be dropped from the group. The remaining members of the group can then select according to their new total (e.g., three remaining members could then select only from among available triples, economy triples, or three-person suites/apartments).
- Each member of the group will be assigned a value based on their class standing (Seniors: 4, Juniors: 3, Sophomores: 2). A rank order will be established based on the average of the individual group scores. In the case of a tie, the best individual lottery number within the group will serve as the determining factor. Each group will receive a "Group Number”. This “Group Number” will be distributed on April 9, 20121, at 4:45pm to the Group Contact Person. Individual group members will receive their room selection number in the event that it is necessary for them to participate in the regular Room Selection process.
- The primary means of communication group housing information will be via e-mail and the Room Selection portal site.
- If a member of a group cancels housing after selecting, the group no longer exists and may be reassigned.For example, if one member of a group of three cancels, the remaining two students would be reassigned to a double room.
- Any group spaces available after the completion of Group Housing will be available during the summer room change process.
Please contact the Residence Life and Housing Office if you have questions regarding the Living-Learning Community for science majors.Back to Top
St. Joseph Hall houses 410 residents in doubles, triples, and economy triple (if necessary) in its six stories. The lower level lounge features a large-screen television plus a full kitchen and dining area for community programs. The game room in the first floor lobby includes pool tables, ping pong, and foosball tables. The lobby also has a computer station area where students can check e-mail and access the Internet. St. Joseph’s is a co-ed building.
St. Ann Hall is a four-story residence hall which houses approximately 225 first-year and returning residents. Each floor accommodates 40 to 60 residents who share a common area, single-sex bathrooms, a kitchen, and laundry facilities. The main lounge has a large-screen television and vending machines. St. Ann Hall will be made available at Room Selection only if all spaces in St. Joseph Hall and Julie Hall are selected.
Julie Hall is a four-story residence housing 225 upperclass students in doubles, triples, and suites. The suites are designed with a private bathroom and a small common area. At the center of the suites is Hynes Square, a large multi-functional atrium area. Julie Hall is a co-ed building. In order to select a suite or triple in Julie, the group must submit a Group Housing Form.
The configurations for the different Julie suites are:
Single/Single/Single/Double 1 suite
Single/Double/Double 6 suites
Double/Double 3 suites
Single/Triple 1 suite
Single/Double 2 suites
Please note the availability of suites may change once the location of RA suites is determined.
Also note the Boston Zoning Commission measure limiting to four the number of college students sharing an apartment does not apply to on-campus residences.
Satellite locations: Information on satellite locations will be made available prior to housing selection.Back to Top
2010-11 Room Charges*
*Please note that room charges have not yet been determined for the 2012 to 2013 year. Room charges are subject to change.Back to Top
Any student requesting a single room for medical reasons must select from among available spaces during room selection and then request a single through the summer room change process.Summer room change forms will be available beginning Monday, April 23, 2012. This form must be submitted along with medical documentation, which should include:
- A letter from you, the student, stating the specific medical condition and consequent housing and explaining how a single can meet that need.
- Medical documentation from a physician supporting the request (on office letterhead), including the telephone number of the physician.
A committee selected by the Director of Residence Life and Housing will review all requests. All information will be kept strictly confidential. PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL REQUESTS MAY NOT BE GRANTED. You will receive a response via e-mail during the summer. A granted request will guarantee that a regular single accommodation will be available. The location cannot be guaranteed unless related to the medical need. Medical singles are charged the same rate as non-medical single room. These requests must be made each academic year.
Students that are making medical requests for singles should still participate in the Room Selection process.
Students on Leave of Absence or Studying Abroad
Students away from the Emmanuel campus may still participate in the Room Selection process. It is important to do the following:
- Meet the deadline of 12 p.m., March 26, 2012, for the $200.00 deposit and a completed Residence Life & Housing Lease available on the Room Selection team site of the Emmanuel College Portal.
- Assign a proxy and complete a Proxy for Room Lottery Process form which is available on the Room Selection team site on the Emmanuel College Portal.
- Your proxy must attend the scheduled room selection appointment. By choosing a proxy, you are accepting the room choice your proxy makes in your absence.
Unable to attend Room Lottery
If an intended roommate or group member cannot attend the scheduled selection time, she or he MUST complete the Proxy form available on the Room Selection team site on the Emmanuel College Portal. By choosing a proxy, you are accepting the room choice your proxy makes in your absence. A student unable to attend may designate either another Emmanuel student or the Office of Residence Life & Housing to act as a proxy.Back to Top