Reverend Thomas L. Leclerc, M.S.
Chair, Department of Theology & Religious Studies; Associate Professor of Theology & Religious Studies
Th.D., Harvard University; M.A. Washington Theological Union; B.A., Merrimack College
Office hours: Monday, Wednesday 12:00-1:45 p.m., Tuesday, Thursday 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Other times by appointment
Office: Administration Building, Room 456
Phone: (617) 975-9352
My specialty is biblical studies with particular interest in the prophets and the gospels. I am particularly interested in how the great works of art interpret, rather than merely present, biblical stories.
- THRS 1111 - Introduction to the Bible
- THRS 2102 - In the Beginning: Genesis to Deuteronomy
- THRS 2114 - The Prophets: Power, Politics, and Principles
- THRS 2205 - The Gospels: Portraits of Jesus
- THRS 2223 - The First Christians
- THRS 3201 - The Bible in Art
- THRS 1101 - Introduction to Religious Studies
- THRS 1103 - Introduction to Catholic Theology
- THRS 2151 - Religious Traditions of Rome (Travel course, co-taught)
- FYS - Women of the Bible
- "The Transformation of the Divine Warrior in Isaiah 59:15b-20. Annual Regional Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature at ANTS on April 29, 2011.
- "The Origins of Lent and Its Structure in Year A," Topsfield, MA.
- "Introducing the Bible: Canons, Inspiration, and Interpretation." Cambridge, MA.
- "The Origins of Lent and Its Structure in Year C," Topsfield, MA.
- "The Transfiguration in Text and Art," Topsfield. MA.
- "Women of the Bible in Art." Topsfield, MA.
- "The Origins of Advent and Its Structure in Year C," Topsfield, MA.
- "Divine and Human Justice in the Bible." VOTF, Natick, MA
- "The Ministry of the Laity in the Sunday Liturgy." Cambridge, MA.
- "Jesus' Gospel of Love in Paul's Epistles." VOTF North Shore, Lynn, and Seacoast, Danvers, MA.
- "Introducing the Year of Luke (Cycle C)." Topsfield, MA
- "Jesus' Gospel of Love in Mark and Matthew." VOTF North Shore, Lynn, and Seacoast, Danvers, MA.
- "Jesus' Gospel of Love in Luke's Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles." VOTF North Shore, Lynn, and Seacoast, Amesbury, MA.
- "Jesus' Gospel of Love in John's Gospel and Epistles." VOTF North Shore, Lynn, and Seacoast, Danvers, MA.
- "The Passion According to Mark: Jesus, the Suffering Son of God." Cambridge, MA.
- "The Passion According to John: Jesus, the King of Glory." Cambridge, MA.
- "Passover, Passion, and Annunciation: Texts and Art." Rosary Academy, Watertown, MA.
- "Introducing the Sunday Lectionary." VOTF, Winchester, MA.
- "Creation in the Bible and the Ancient Near East." Paulist Center, Boston, MA.
- "Abraham, Isaac, and Child Sacrifice in the Ancient Near East." Paulist Center, Boston, MA.
- "The Exodus and the Canaanite Baal Epic." Paulist Center, Boston, MA.
- "Creation and Redemption in Second Isaiah." Paulist Center, Boston, MA.
- "Light in the Old Testament." National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette, Attleboro, MA.
- "The Book of Ruth," a three-part presentation. Topsfield, MA.
- "Portraits of Jesus in the Four Gospels." Seacoast Chapter of Voice of the Faithful, parishes in the Archdioceses of Boston and Atlanta.
- "The Theology of St. Paul." Seacoast Chapter of Voice of the Faithful, parishes in the Archdioceses of Boston and Atlanta.
- "The Passion of the Christ according to John." Marietta, GA.
- Catholic Biblical Association
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Catholic Theological Society of America
- Book Awards from The Catholic Press Association of the United States and Canada: for Living Liturgy: Spirituality, Celebration, and Catechesis for Sundays and Solemnities. Author with Joyce Ann Zimmerman, Thomas A. Greisen, and Kathleen Harmon. (Collegeville: The Liturgical Press.)
- 2004: Second Place in Liturgy
- 2003: Third Place in Liturgy
- 2002: First Place in Liturgy
- 2001: Second Place in Liturgy
- Dean's Dissertation Fellowship, Harvard University (1998)
- Harvard Certificate for Distinction in Teaching (1997, 1995)
- Introduction to the Prophets: Their Stories, Sayings, and Scrolls. Paulist Press, 2007.
- Yahweh Is Exalted in Justice: Solidarity and Conflict in Isaiah. Fortress Press, 2001.
- Nine volumes of Living Liturgy: Spirituality, Celebration, and Catechesis for Sundays and Solemnities. Author with Joyce Ann Zimmerman, Thomas A. Greisen, and Kathleen Harmon.
- Year A, 2008 (Liturgical Press, 2007)
- Year C, 2007 (Liturgical Press, 2006).
- Year B, 2006 (Liturgical Press, 2005).
- Year A, 2005 (Liturgical Press: 2004).
- Year C, 2004 (Liturgical Press: 2003).
- Year B, 2003 (Liturgical Press: 2002).
- Year A, 2002 (Liturgical Press: 2001).
- Year C, 2001 (Liturgical Press: 2000).
- Year B, 2000 (Liturgical Press: 1999).
- Living Liturgy for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, 2007. Author with Joyce Ann Zimmerman, Thomas A. Greisen, and Kathleen Harmon. Liturgical Press, 2006.
- Living Liturgy for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, 2008. Author with Joyce Ann Zimmerman, Thomas A. Greisen, and Kathleen Harmon. Liturgical Press, 2007.
Recent Articles and Reviews
- Review of The Desert Will Bloom: Poetic Visions in Isaiah eds. A. Joseph Everson and Hyun Chul Paul Kim (Society of Biblical Literature, 2009). Forthcoming.
- The Catholic Prayer Bible: Lectio Divina Edition. New York / Mahwah, N.J.: Paulist Press, 2010. Commentary and nßotes on the following books:
- "Daniel," 1414-1441;
- "Nahum," 1493-1497;
- "Habakkuk," 1499-1503;
- "Zephaniah," 1505-1510.
- "Resurrection: Biblical Considerations." Liturgical Ministry 18 (Summer 2009): 97-106
- "The Sunday Gospels of Ordinary Time: Hearing His Voice, Entering His Mystery." Liturgical Ministry, 17 (Fall 2008) 173-182.
- "The Branch." Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception. Walter de Gruyter Press.
- "Isaiah and the God of Justice," The Bible Today 43 (November 2005) 359-64.
- "The Sunday Lectionary as Bible Interpreter," Liturgical Ministry: 13 (Fall 2004) 169-180. (Invited article).
- "Community Conflicts and Decision-Making in the Early Church." July 2002. Online: http://www.voiceofthefaithful.org; July 2002.
- "Faith-in-Action: Biblical Aspects," Liturgical Ministry, 9 (Fall 2000) 184-95. (Invited article).
- "The Gospel Meets the World: Translation and Inculturation." La Salette America." January 2010, 9-11.
- "What the New Testament Says about the Laity." La Salette America (April 2008): 9-11.
- Review of Reading Isaiah: Poetry and Vision by Peter D. Quinn-Miscall (Louisville / London / Leiden: Westminster John Knox Press, 2001) in Biblical Interpretation: A Journal of Contemporary Approaches. (Vol. XII, No. 1, 2004: 97-99).
- Review of Injustice Made Legal: Deuteronomic Law and the Plight of Widows, Strangers and Orphans in Ancient Israel by Harold V. Bennett. (Grand Rapids, Michigan / Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2002) in Review of Biblical Literature. (Fall 2003).
- Review of Isaiah 40-55 (Anchor Bible 19A) by Joseph Blenkinsopp (New York: Doubleday, 2002) in Review of Biblical Literature (2003: 271-74)