Associate Professor of Chemistry
Ph.D., B.S., Tufts University
Office hours: Monday 11:45 a.m.–1:45 p.m., Tuesday 1:45–2:15 p.m., Wednesday 7:15–7:45 a.m., Friday 10:15–11:15 a.m.
Other times by appointment
Office: Wilkens Science Center, Room 309-D
Phone: (617) 264-7614
My main areas of interest are green chemistry and education. I have published several green laboratories for general chemistry and organic chemistry. I am completing a textbook entitled Chemistry of Art that will be published in 2012.
My research involves development of laboratories for use in the undergraduate organic or general chemistry courses. I am particularly interested in developing environmentally-friendly or green laboratories. For example, the concept of freezing point depression is explored using naphthalene as the solvent and solutes such as biphenyl or urea. Dr. Sarah Iacobucci (Tufts University) and I have been developing a lab where stearic acid is used as the solvent and components of biodegradable soap are used as the solutes. At the end of our experiment, upon addition of a foaming agent, the materials may be washed down the drain. For the past two years, I have been involved with Northeast's Section Celebration of National Chemistry Week.
- Chem 1101 - Principles of Chemistry I
- Chem 1102 - Principles of Chemistry II
- Chem 1103 - Chemical Perspectives
- Chem 1105 - Prescription and Non-Prescription Drugs
- Chem 1108 - Chemistry and Art
- Chem 2101 - Organic Chemistry I
- Chem 2102 - Organic Chemistry II
- Chem 3123 - Advanced Chemical Synthesis
- Chem 4160 - Senior Seminar in Chemistry
- Recipient of the 2008 E. Ann Nalley Northeast Regional Award for Volunteer Services
- Green crossed aldol condensation reactions using trans-cinnamaldehyde. Ter Meer Guardia, L. K.; Belli, A. J.; Molta, G. J.; Gordon, P.; Jaworek-Lopes, C. H.; Chem. Educator 2011, 16, 23-25.
- Oxidation of vanillyl alcohol to vanillin using TEMPO. Zablowsky, E.; Gordon, P.; Jaworek-Lopes, C. H. Chem. Educator, 2010, 15, 115-116.
- Dyeing fabrics using anthocyanins isolated from red cabbage. Henderson, D. D.; Jaworek-Lopes, C. H. Chem. Educator, 2009, 14, 23-25.
- A Green, Clean Colligative Properties Experiment. Iacobucci, S. Jaworek-Lopes, C. H., Wang, P., Phun, L., Wilbur, G., Dobson, A. Chem. Educator, 2006, 11, 102-104.
- Wittig Reaction: The Synthesis of trans-9-(2-Phenylethenyl)anthracene Revisited. Jaworek, C. H.; Iacobucci, S. J. Chem. Ed; 2002, 79, 111.
- Freezing Point Depression and Biodegradable Soap. Iacobucci, S., Jaworek-Lopes, C.H. In Preparation.
- Qualitative Analysis of Household Compounds Revisited: Twenty-three white solids commonly found in the home. Jaworek, C. H.; Iacobucci, S. In Preparation.
- Wittig Reaction: The Synthesis of trans-9-(2-Phenylethenyl)anthracene Revisted. Jaworek, C. H.; Iacobucci, S. J. Chem. Ed; 2002, 79, 111.
- Synthesis of inositol glycan cyclic phosphates. Jaworek, C. H.; Iacobucci, S.; Calias, P.; d'Alarcao, M. Carbohydrate Research; 2001, 331, 375-391.
- Synthesis of an Inositol-Containing Trisaccharide Related to Insulin Signal Transduction. Jaworek, C. H.; Calias, P.; Iacobucci, S.; d'Alarcao, M. Tetrahedron Letters; 1999, 40, 667-670.
- Practical synthesis of a differentially protected myo-inositol. Kornienko, A.; Turner, D. I.; Jaworek, C. H.; d'Alarcao, M. Tetrahedron: Asymmetry; 1998, 9, 2783-6.
- National Chemistry Week Coordinator for the Northeastern Section of the ACS
I am an active member of the Northeastern Section of the American Chemical Society (NESACS). As a member of NESACS, I have coordinated National Chemistry Week and Chemists Celebrate Earth Day events for several years. I am also an Alternate Councilor for the Section. I am also an active member of the Committee of Community Activities and the Chemical Education Programming Committee.