Ana R. Otero
Biology Lab Instructor
Ph.D., M.S., B.S., D.V.M., University of Leon, Spain
Office hours: Monday and Wednesday 1:00 - 2:30pm
Office: Wilkens Science Center, Room 309H
Phone: (617) 975-9008
I am interested in teaching students to think critically and to analyze the science that is around us. To do this, I relate class material to specific issues from the news and daily life.
My passion is infectious disease and the role of microorganisms in our world. I have always been interested in neglected diseases in the developing world, especially those caused by parasites. I feel that living in the developed world we have a responsibility towards poorer nations. I try to bring the students close to these "far" lands, hoping to bring about awareness and commitment in the student.
I am also interested in vaccine development and implementation. Before becoming a teacher I worked in the pharmaceutical industry and in the vaccine industry which I also find fascinating.
- BIOL 1101 - Life on Earth Laboratories
- BIOL 1102; BIOL 1103 - Human Biology
- BIOL 1105 - Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Biology
- BIOL 1106 - Introduction to Organismic and Evolutionary Biology Laboratories
- BIOL 1110 - Human Anatomy and Physiology
- BIOL 1211 - Emerging Infectious Diseases
- BIOL 2113 - Human Nutrition
- BIOL 2107 - Ecology
- BIOL 2123 - Genetics
- BIOL 3125 - Molecular Biology Laboratories
- BIOL 3127 - Microbiology
- BIOL 4160 - Seminar
- FYS 1101-66 - The Attack of the Killer Microbes
- Muddy River Research Symposium. Wheelock College, Boston 2011
- Woo, M.H., Vance, J.R., Otero Marcos, A.R., Bailly, C. y Bjornsti, M.A. Active site mutations in DNA topoisomerase I distinguish the cytotoxic activities of camptothecin and the indolocarbazole, rebeccamycin. J. Biol. Chem. 277, 3813-22, 2002.
- Villa, H., Otero, A.R., Reguera, R.M., Perez-Pertejo, Y., Garcia Estrada, C., Balana-Fouce, R., Ordonez, D. Reconstitution of Leishmania DNA topoisomerase I activity using co-expression of independent genes. XIII Molecular Parasitology Meeting. Boston, 2002.
- Villa, H., Otero Marcos A.R., Reguera R.M., Balana-Fouce R., Garcia-Estrada C., Perez-Pertejo, Y., Tekwani, B.L., Myler, P.J., Stuart, K.D., Bjornsti, M.A., Ordonez, D. A novel active DNA topoisomerase I in Leishmania donovani. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 3521-6, 2003.
- Sellitto M., Otero A. R., Ryvkin F. A laboratory model to test Escherichia coli adsorption to soil particles in the Boston's waterways. Muddy River Research Symposium. Wheelock College. Boston, 2008.