Crime prevention includes calling the Campus Safety Office when you observe suspicious activity, calling if you are the victim of or become aware of a criminal incident, and informing the Campus Safety Office of any potential campus safety issues. If Campus Safety is not made aware of an incident, we cannot provide assistance to those in need or work to prevent it from occurring again.
Procedures for Reporting a Crime or Emergency
To report a crime or emergency on the Emmanuel College campus, call the Campus Safety Department at extension 59888 or, from outside the College phone system, 617-735-9888. To report a non-emergency security or campus safety related matter call extension 59710 or, from outside the College phone system, 617-735-9710.
Communications officers are available at these respective telephone numbers 24 hours a day to answer your call.
What is suspicious?
“Am I witnessing a crime?” Most of us have found ourselves asking this at some time or another. However, because we are not really sure, we tend to ignore what we have just seen and continue about our business.
You should trust your instincts. If something does not feel right, it probably isn’t.
Signs of behavior that might be suspicious:
- A person trying to enter a residence without the proper access card.
- A person running and looking about furtively, as if he or she were being watched or chased.
- A stranger carrying property at an unusual hour or location, especially if the items are computer or other equipment, office machinery, or a locked bicycle.
- A person going door-to-door in an office building or residential area.
- Any person forcibly entering a locked vehicle or building.
- One or more persons sitting in a parked car closely scanning the area.
- A person (especially a juvenile or female) being forced into a vehicle.
- A person exhibiting unusual mental or physical symptoms.
- Unusual noises, including gunshots, screaming, sounds of fighting, barking dogs, or anything suggesting foul play, danger, or illegal activity.
It is important to remember that people aren’t suspicious; behavior is. When in doubt, call! If you witness any suspicious activity, call the Emmanuel College Office of Campus Safety immediately.